There's nothing like sitting in the garden enjoying an ice cold home made rhubarb and ginger gin and tonic whilst the kids are playing outdoor games.
Rhubarb is in season in April/ May so you can either buy them in your local shop, grow them in your garden or like me get them from your kind neighbours.
1kg pink rhubarb stalks
200g white caster sugar
1 inch cube peeled ginger
optional: Add a few raspberries for a pinker colour
1. Wash and trim the stalks, discard of ends and leaves. Cut the rhubarb into 3cm pieces.
2. Put them in a sterilised jar with the sugar, close the lid and give a good shake.
3. Leave for 24 hours, the rhubarb will start to release it's juices.
4. After 24 hours add the gin and the ginger, seal the jar and shake.
5. Leave for 4 weeks for the flavours to infuse.
6. Strain the liquid into bottles using a muslin cloth.
7. You don't need to add tonic to this, just some ice or you could add Prosseco for a delicious cocktail.
8. Sit in the sun and and enjoy.
TOP TIP: the leftover rhubard can be whizzed in a blender and added to ice cream.